18 avr. 2013

[Kwot] Through the Looking-Glass (1) (Lewis Carroll)


  First, there's the room you can see through the glass - that's just the same as our drawing-room, only things go the other way. I can see all of it when I get upon a chair - all but the bit just behind the fireplace. Oh! I do wish I could see that bit! I want so much to know whether they've a fire in the winter: you never can tell, you know, unless our fire smokes, and then smoke comes up in that room too - but that may be only pretence, just to make it look as if they had a fire.

Well then, the books are something like our books, only the words go the wrong way; I know that, because I've held up one of our books to the glass, and then they hold up one in the other room [...]

You can just see a little peep of the passage in Looking-Glass House if you leave the door of our drawing-room wide open: and it's very like our passage as far as you can see, only you know it may be quite different on beyond [...]

In another moment Alice was through the glass, and had jumped lightly down into the Looking-Glass room...



From Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
and What Alice Found There
, 1872

Original illustration by John Tenniel

Aucun commentaire: